6/24/13

A Taste of Texas

These are the taco meat and salsa recipes I use. I got the salsa recipe from a girl I work with and I found the taco meat in a Google search. I've modified both recipes a bit after making them several times. I've typed out my version, but I'm including the originals to give credit where credit is due.

Originals
http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-meat-55575
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

Taco Meat
Recipe:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • .25 cup flour
  • 1 tbl chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • .5 tsp onion powder
  • .5 tsp garlic powder
  • .5 tsp paprika
  • .25 tsp cumin
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro (cut off the stems, finely chopped)
  • .5 cup of water
  • 1 lb new potatoes or yukon golds (skin on, chopped very small)
Directions:
  1. Mix the beef, potato, and all the spices together like meatloaf.
  2. Add the water to the pan before the beef.
  3. Cook it until the beef is done and the taters are soft.
Note: I use whole wheat flour. Tapioca flour is a little sweet and adds an interesting dimension (it works if you're entertaining someone who can't eat gluten).

Salsa
Recipe:
  • 28 oz can whole roma/plum tomatoes (with basil)
  • 2x 10 oz can Rotel (original)
  • .5 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic (2 heaping tsp chopped)
  • 2 med jalapeno (seeds and all)
  • .25 tsp sugar
  • .5 tsp salt
  • .5 tsp cumin
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro (cut off the stems)
  • 1 tbl lime juice
Directions:
  1. Coarsely chop all the ingredients and combine in a food processor.
  2. Process to desired consistency.
  3. Put it in a bowl.
Note: Drain excess water from the tomatoes before adding them. You don't have to, but it makes the final salsa watery.

No comments:

Post a Comment