2/5/13

Champaign on Ice

Live Like There's Snow Tomorrow
So, it snowed last weekend, all weekend. In Austin, the entire metro area would have shut down. Here, they have mechanisms in place for dealing with winter weather. All the main streets are cleared and businesses clear their parking lots. Life goes on. You can go to Schnucks or Target or Dick's as though it weren't snowing. Only it is.

My apartments mount a scraper to their company vehicle and scrape the parking lots. Then a guy comes by with a leaf blower and blows the snow off of the sidewalks. Funny thing about snow: when you walk on it, it compresses. So when the leaf blower comes through, the loose snow takes flight and the packed footprints remain. When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.


I've seen more snow in the past four months in Illinois than I saw in the last ten years in Austin. It never gets old. Aine's already been here through one winter and she agrees. Every time it snows is exciting.

The only problem with snow, is that with it comes cold. My hands feel chilled when I walk the dog, so I figured it was time to make myself a pair of the famous Broadstreet Mittens. Also known as glomits.


As you can probably tell, I let my wife pick the yarn.

If you want to make a pair of your own, look here:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATTbroadstreet.html

When one wants to travel in inclement weather, one must prepare one's car. We had a hand held ice scraper and a small whisk broom for clearing ice and snow from the Yaris. One morning this weekend, the extreme temperatures caused a small crisis when the handle of the whisk broom shattered asunder. Also, when it comes to scraping ice, I mean, we both have short arms. So we purchased, at our local Schnucks, a Super Scraper 3000. This thing is pretty much the final word in ice and snow scraping.


Pterodactyls Coming in for a Landing
So we just started Phase 2 of P90X. It continues to be a very rewarding experience. If you consider pain a reward. Hoo-ah!

Last week we had our first Recovery Week, which amounted to seven days of Core, Yoga, and Stretching. At the end of the third week of Phase 1, we were feeling a might tuckered out. But after a down week, we came on like Gang Busters. Only not as loud. We have neighbors. Cue police whistle.

We brought it. We did our best and forgot the rest. We thought like a cat. We blammed like Pam.

Also, we felt it time to increase our weights, causing a significant shift in the visual dynamic of our living area. We are now those people.


This new phase features entirely new upper body workouts, ones which, one might assert, are quite difficult. After getting used to the previous set of workouts, we found ourselves alarmingly unprepared for these new ones. Yesterday, when I went to take a shower, I could barely lift my arms to wash my hair.

Dangers of Working from Home
Sometimes Piglet will sink her talons into my back for attention. Sometimes she sits on the table in front of me and tries to rub her face on mine. Sometimes she likes to knead the keyboard like bread dough.

Most of the time, though, she does her mid-morning stretches in front of my monitor.


No comments:

Post a Comment