9/26/12

You Will Not Go to Heaven

Champaign in Song
When Bob Dylan (that's right, I went there) was recording his 1969 album Nashville Skyline, Carl Perkins (you know him as the guy who wrote Blue Suede Shoes for Elvis and sometimes played with Johnny Cash, no relation to Luther Perkins, though) stopped by the studio and they wrote this song together:


This video uses photographs from both Champaign and Urbana. You'll notice some of the landmarks from previous posts. Jarling's Custard is right down the street from our apartment. And the Blind Pig is the bar we frequent in downtown Champaign.

Later, the Old 97s, a band from Dallas, Texas that likes to play in Austin, asked Bob Dylan (I did it again) if they could use the melody from his song Desolation Row with some new lyrics they had written.

Here they are playing that song at Waterloo Records in Austin (we bought stuff for our groomsmen and bridesmaids here):


Interesting story. I got really excited when I heard this Old 97s song. I jumped up and down a little bit, then raced down the hallway to tackle Aine out of her study chair. I said, you have to listen to this song. She shrugged. Oh, yeah, she said. I have that CD. I've had it for almost a year. 

So, unlike my wife, I have chosen to SHARE this music with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment