9/28/12

Do Not Seek the Treasure

In my new apartment, we have floor vents to distribute our central heat and air. The kind I remember seeing in churches or schools as a kid. They look like this:


Full of curiosity and an urge to explore, I pulled one open the other day, just to see what I could find. I imagined finding gold doubloons, an old tin with childhood treasures of the previous owner, a passage to Narnia, or even the One Ring, slipped from Smeagol's finger. I found only disappointment.

And a lot of trash:

I excavated as much of the trash as I could from the five floor vents we have. I filled a box lid with secrets long hidden and clandestine tools from past civilizations.


Here's a list of things I found:
  • a feather
  • pens and pencils
  • a Magic: The Gathering card
  • cards from a children's board game
  • pieces from the game Battleship
  • rusty nails and screws
  • foil from a Yoplait yogurt tub
  • Legos
  • beads
  • a pencil sharpener
  • toothpicks
  • a Thomas the Tank Engine ruler
  • US currency
  • dirt
  • weather stripping
  • and Goldfish crackers (the cheese flavor much diminished by storage in an AC vent)
Here's the money shot:



No comments:

Post a Comment